1. A super friendly dashboardThe Moodle dashboard is your gateway to everything. If you haven’t used a dashboard before, have a look at an introductory tutorial to get you on the right track. Simple, easy to follow menus lead the way to courses and assignments, as well as online forums so you can chat with fellow students or teachers. Also, your dashboard is fully customisable, so you can get things set up the way you like them!
2. Easy communicationForget trying to transfer email addresses across to your Outlook inbox. Moodle features an instant messaging service that allows easy two-way dialogue between teachers and students to engage individually or as a group. Teachers can message groups of students, see lists of people on a particular course and contribute to forum threads. It’s a great communication tool that makes everyone feel engaged and involved in online discussions.
3. Share your workYou can share information easily with the Moodle LMS. Teaching resources, files, folders, quizzes, exercises and reports can all be sent and received using the drag and drop feature of the Moodle instant messaging system. Quick to set up and easy to use, this system means you can keep your learning tools and information all in one place… without clogging up your email inbox!
4. BadgesThe virtual version of a gold star sticker! When new skills are learnt, a badge can be sent to a student’s profile as a way of acknowledging their hard work and boosting their confidence. Badges can be easily created by the Moodle LMS administrator for a single subject or a whole course and there are free downloadable libraries of colourful, language independent badges online.
5. Track your progressLast year’s academic report is just a click away with Moodle. Keep track of your marks with the Gradebook, a feature which allows you to view all the marks for a course, sort them into categories or change them from a score to a percentage figure or vice versa. You can also store your badges on Gradebook and admire them along with your great marks!
6. A (very) cool calendarFold all your appointments, lectures, study times and meetings into one place with the Moodle calendar. You can colour code events to group them into sections and deadlines are a breeze with the alert system that tells you when assignments are due. It’s simple to add and edit upcoming events and you can invite people to meetings or export your Moodle calendar to other programs.
7. Type straight inMoodle’s text editor function means you can write and submit course assignments straight to your teacher. Don’t worry, the formatting icons used – such as font, text size and italicising – are user-friendly and similar to those in Microsoft Word. Additionally, there’s an equation editor, which allows you to create maths formulas, quizzes and calculations in 2D and 3D. Of course, these are just the top seven features we’re excited about, but you may have other ideas. If so, we’d love to hear from you in the comments! Thanks for reading.