I wanted to take the time to talk this week about e-learning vendor selection. It may sound strange that a vendor of e-learning would address this but us eCreators have also been users and purchasers of e-learning products and technology for many years too, which allows us to provide some insight.
Many of the customers that either begin Moodle hosting with us, or transfer LMS hosting to us from another provider, often talk of the difficulty of working with multiple vendors. Here are some of the main issues they speak of, and some of the things that are food for thought when you’re considering selecting an e-learning vendor.
1. Does the provider provide both e-learning content and LMS hosting?
2. Does your e-learning vendor provide telephone support?
3. Have you checked to see if your e-learning vendor is a trusted company and not just a one or two man show working from home – this is an important one as you need to look at business risk and what happens to your valuable data if that company is to fall over.
4. Are the systems compatible? You need to ensure that the content you create, or have created is going to work well on your Learning Management System. An e-learning vendor who can provide both will more than likely be able to provide you with a robust solution to ensure just that.
5. Is your data hosted onshore? There are many Learning Management System providers that use offshore providers that use offshore hosting and hide this in the small print. There may be privacy concerns for your organisation, and, if the service is hosted off-shore, shouldn’t some of the savings be passed onto you?
There are many more reasons you should consider when selecting your e-learning vendor – these are just the top 5. For more information please contact us on 1300 913 112.